The Aadhaar card comprises of a 12 digit Aadhaar number which unique to every individual. The UIDAI has the sole authority to issue the Aadhaar cards. The main motive of the government to start the Aadhaar scheme was to ensure that everyone in India holds a unique identity that is backed by the government. In fact, if we compare the Aadhaar card with other cards(like PAN, voter's id, ration card etc) we will find that unlike other cards the Aadhaar card comprises of more content in terms of the individual's details. For instance besides comprising the details of an individual's identity(like name, gender, father's name etc) the Aadhaar card also comprises of the demographic details (i.e address) as well as the biometric details (like the finger print and iris scan) of an individual. It is precisely because of these unique features that the Government has made it mandatory to link Aadhaar with bank accounts.
How To Link Aadhaar With Bank Account
The government has set 31, December 2017 as the last date for linking Aadhaar with the bank account. Further, it has also been warned that failing to do so will render all the Aadhaar fewer bank accounts as invalid. The Aadhaar card can be linked both online as well as offline. For the online process the following steps must be taken:
- Visit the UIDAI official website of your bank. example:https://www.pnbindia.in/
- Log in to your bank account.
- Click on “update Aadhaar card details” or “Aadhaar card seeding option”
- After this, a page will appear where you are required to provide the Aadhaar details.
- After filling all the details click on “submit”
Once the details get successfully submitted, the bank will verify them from the bank's database. when the verification process gets completed the Aadhaar will automatically get linked to the bank account. A confirmation email will be sent about the same to the registered mobile number or email id.
The following steps must be taken for the offline process:
- Visit the nearest bank branch and fill the bank account seeding form available at the bank's branch.
- After completing, the form submits it to an authorised bank official.
- After verifying the details provided the bank will link the Aadhaar details with the bank account.
- Once the Aadhaar is successfully seeded with the bank account a confirmation email or SMS will be sent to the registered mobile number or email id.
How To Check The Status Of Aadhaar And Bank Account Linking
Once the application process to link the Aadhaar details with the bank account is completed an individual can check its status any time by following the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of UIDAI.
- Click on “Aadhaar online services” or on “check Aadhaar and bank account status” link.
- After this you will be redirected to a page where you are required to provide your Aadhaar number and the security code will be displayed on the screen.
- Now, click on “send OTP”. the OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in the appropriate box provided for it and then click on “submit”.
- After this, the status of the Aadhaar and bank account seeding will be displayed on the screen.
Benefits Of Aadhaar Seeding With Bank Accounts
The government in the Union budget of 2017 have stated that it is mandatory to link Aadhaar with the bank account. This mandate was passed to ensure that the society goes hand in hand with the technological advancement. Some of the benefits of linking Aadhaar with the bank account are:
- The most important benefit of linking Aadhaar with the bank account is that the payments of all government schemes will be directly transferred to the beneficiary's bank account. This step will not only save time but will also help in eradicating “ghost workers” and corrupt middle men.
- Another benefit of the Aadhaar and bank account seeding is this that all those students who are eligible for government scholarship will directly get the payment in their account every month. Earlier, students had to jump from one office to another to complete scholarship formalities but with this new step by the government, the lives of the students have been made easier particularly when it comes to availing their scholarship.
- Further, subsidies on various household items like kerosene, LPG, sugar etc will be directly credited to the beneficiary's bank account.
- The government has also made it mandatory to produce Aadhaar card as KYC document besides other documents at the time of opening an account.
The UIDAI official website also offers a range of Aadhaar card related services, including a blocking and blocking service of one meter biometric data.
Things To Remember:
While linking Aadhaar with the bank account two most important things that must be kept in mind are:
- Aadhaar and bank account seeding are not required if a person wants to open a small saving account, that is an account that does not hold more than rupees 50000.
- The second thing that should be kept in mind is the last date of linking Aadhaar with the bank account. The government has set 31, December 2017 as the last date.It has also been warned that after 31 December all the Aadhaar fewer bank accounts will become inactive.